Sunday, March 16, 2008

Is it worth asking the question?

Perhaps by working through these questions, I'll be able to establish which of my potential topics is most worthwhile for me.

- Who is it for?
- Why ask the question?
- Is the project/thesis viable?
- Am I passionate about it?
- Is it relevant (to why I want to do Hons/my future)?

Is marketing Christianity like a product the only way the faith will survive?

- In some ways this is just for me, out of interest. Some churches might be interested in my results, but essentially the question in philosophical, so most church leaders and members will already know what they think. I would love to pitch the finished thesis to an academic journal, probably one that focuses on marketing issues or religion, but I'll wait and see if it's any good first!
- This question always raises so many other questions and peaks the interest of almost anyone I speak to. Obviously I don't expect to come up with a definitive answer, but I hope that asking the question will stir up some interest (and maybe some controversy) from the people who read the project and will encourage them to think about how our consumer-driven lives have changed the world, or whether Christianity has always marketed itself to potential converts (the Crusades??)
- This thesis is definitely viable.
- I'm passionate about it this topic, despite the fact that I'm not actually religious (or even "spiritual"). I am nonetheless interested in religion and the philosophical questions/conundrums that it poses (both within the religion and in religion's interaction with society at large)
- The topic is relevant to my aims with regards to Honours, because I'm keen to explore a topic that interests me in detail and challenge my written skills with regards to writing a thesis. However, I can't see it having an impact on my career in any more specific way. 

No comments: